On 10th and 11th January 2020, the vermicomposting team at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and BioInnovate Africa organized an inception meeting for the Project No. BA C2 2018-19: titled “Biomanagement of coffee waste from processing industries through vermicomposting and its integration with aquaculture, horticulture, and poultry”. The inception meeting was held at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), in Nairobi, Kenya.
Inception meeting Co-Chairs were:
- Dr. Gezahegn Teferedegn, Debre Berhan University, Ethiopia (Project Team Leader)
- Dr. John Recha, ILRI (Host), Kenya
Participating organizations included:
- Debre Berhan University, Ethiopia
- Hawassa University, Ethiopia
- International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Kenya
- Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute, Tanzania
- Sustainable Africa and Natural Resources Management Africa (SANREM AFRICA)
- ECHO East Africa, Tanzania
- James Wafula, (AfriClp) Kitale, Kenya.
- Eagaads Coffee Estate, Kenya
- Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN), Kenya
- Kenya Institute of Organic Farming (KIOF), Kenya
The inception meeting provided an opportunity to the project core tem and partners from Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania to discuss the status of plan of action and milestones. The event included a field trip to the Kenya Vermicomposting project site at Eaagads Coffee Estate.